Holiday Guest Prep

The holidays can be a wonderful time, but they can also be incredibly stressful – especially if you’re expecting guests. So, lessen your anxiety by preparing well before your guests arrive.

Set the stage with decorative scented candles to greet your guests, along with a warm fire in the fireplace. And don’t forget to have plenty of throws in your living room for snuggling up.

Meal planning can make a huge difference in feeling ready to be the hostess-with-the-mostest. Shop early and have plenty of snacks on hand to stay cool, calm and collected. Choose simple meals that can be prepared ahead of time so you don’t have to leave your guests on their own while you slave away in the kitchen. Also, don’t feel like you must cook every night your guests are in town. Rather, plan meals for 75% of the time and eat out or order in the other 25%. Use leftovers for at least one or more lunches.

Check the bathroom stock of shampoo and conditioner, fresh soap, and towels, and plan to refresh the towels every three days or so. If you can, have a selection of your guest’s favorite products on hand and a robe for their use while there. It’s always nice to have a hair dryer and curling iron reserved for guests. Restock your bandages and have extra hand lotion in the cupboard.

Your guest room should have fresh sheets and blankets on the bed, a sweet treat on the bedside table, a bottle of water per person, and a magazine featuring area activities. If it’s been a while since you’ve replaced your pillows, now may be the perfect time to splurge on new ones of good quality. We love placing a throw on a bedside chair for curling up for a good read or for use as an extra blanket.

The key for a stress-free holiday season is planning and preparation. Then just enjoy the time with your guests – they are here to spend time with you after all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *