Things to Consider Before Remodeling Your Bathroom
A newly remodeled bathroom can be a source of joy and beauty. Being without your dutiful throne can be tough though. Here are some things to consider before you find yourself in the midst of a remodel:
- Alternate bathroom – having a comfortable alternate bathroom to use while yours is torn up, is a must-have. If you don’t, consider moving out during the remodel – showering at work is no fun, even for a few days.
- Medicine cabinets – using this space in the walls is a great way to get extra storage and a place to keep medicine out of reach of kids.
- Electrical outlets – really consider the placement of your existing electrical outlets and if they’re serving your needs. Is there a benefit to adding more, or moving them to an alternate location – even within a drawer? If so, don’t be afraid to speak up.
- Lighting – a variety of lighting options are helpful in a bathroom – overhead, recessed, and natural. For what is typically a small space, often you’ll use many different forms of light to make this space most effective for your use. Consider a dimmer switch if you want to set a mood for bubble baths or early morning showers.
- Temperature – if your room is cold in the winter and hot in the summer, you may want to address insulation during your remodel. Other tips would be choosing heated tile as an option.
- Storage – consider a vanity with drawers vs. doors, as you might find that they work best for storage and not losing things at the back of a cabinet. Linen cabinets are always a good add for towel storage and other linens.
- The future – if you plan on staying in your home long-term, give special thought to what might be helpful down the road. While you might not have to implement the solutions today, it’s helpful to have them planned for in your design, so if and when you need them, installation is seamless and simple.
We love helping our clients plan and think about a remodel and offer suggestions based on our 40+ years of experience helping Eastside families beautify and functionalize their homes. If you have questions about our process, please call our office. Our bathroom remodels can be found on Our Work page.