Set Up a Temporary Kitchen for Your Remodel
A kitchen remodel can be a significant disruption to a home. If you’re thinking you’ll have to head to a restaurant every day, you should know there are ways to avoid having to eat out for every meal. In our experience, preparation is key for managing the challenge.
- Understand your project schedule. Nothing will bum you out faster than thinking you need to make alternate eating arrangements for two weeks, only to find out the remodel is more likely to take twelve. Talk with your project lead to set expectations up front.
- Create a temporary kitchen space. Select an unused room in your house, or some space in the garage, to create a space that will serve as your kitchen. Ideally, you’ll have room for a frig, a place to sit and eat, and an actual cooking space.
- Buy or borrow small appliances. A portable microwave, hot plate and toaster oven are perfect for creating a small, functional kitchen during a remodel. They’ll fit in a small footprint and will serve a variety of purposes.
- Prepare menu ideas in advance. There’s nothing like having remodeling fatigue and then having to figure out what to cook in a less than perfect kitchen situation. That’s a recipe for a meltdown. Instead, make a list of items in advance that are relatively easy and quick to prepare that your family likes.
- Create a dishwashing station. Embrace your inner camper and set up a dishwashing station like you would on a campsite or designate the least used bathroom counter and sink for dishwashing duty.
- Embrace paper plates. While not great for the environment, some circumstances just lend themselves to disposable paper products. Fewer dishes will be required, and you can rest assured knowing it’s only for a short period of time.
- Use the grill. Grilled chicken, steaks and fish on the grill are great. You can even grill veggies. Assuming you have decent weather or a covered area to grill in, this can be a great option for cooking when temporarily displaced.
Finally, accept all dinner invitations! Not only will you not have to cook (or do dishes), you’ll also enjoy a lovely evening with friends or family.
Leave a Reply