Watch Out for Winter Electrical Hazards
Snuggling in with a warm beverage while enjoying the simpler things in life is always an ideal pastime in the winter. However, it’s important to watch out for some inherent electrical hazards that can crop up during the holiday season.
Added decorations can come with an increased fire hazard. Whether real or artificial, the placement of your holiday tree can be a problem if it’s near an open heater vent. In addition, it’s common to move furniture around this time of year, so it’s important to remember to close heater vents if you’ll be covering them, even if it’s for a short period of time.
Great for heating smaller areas, space heaters can make a huge difference in your comfort but they’re easy to leave on and walk away from. It’s best to opt for a model that has an automatic off feature or be sure to double check that it’s off before bed.
Smoke and carbon monoxide monitors are an absolute must in your home to ensure your family’s safety. Both will notify you if the air in your home is unhealthy. Make sure yours have fresh batteries and are operating properly.
They smell good and are great for setting the mood. However, forgotten candles are a huge fire hazard. Don’t leave candles unattended or, better yet, choose flameless options to be on the safe side.
This is the time of year when you put up decorations and lights like never before. When getting them out and putting them away each year, check cords and connection points and discard any items that look compromised. Also, be careful not to overload outlets with too many additional items.
Finally, if you’re leaving for an extended period, consider unplugging smaller appliances like toasters and coffee machines.